From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: /etc/conf.d/net
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 21:18:50
1 · Alan Mckinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>:
2
3 > On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 10:05 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
4 >> · Alan Mckinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>:
5 >
6 >> > Docs on /etc/conf.d/net are about as clear as mud from where I sit. The
7 >> > last thing I need to figure out is what exactly is the difference
8 >> > between config_eth0 and iface_eth0 entries?
9 >>
10 >> Oh, that's simple! config_eth0 exists and iface_* doesn't. Quite
11 >> clear, as far as I'm concerned.
12 >
13 > Hmmm, it's now as clear as mud smeared all over a 100 foot black
14 > obsidian monolith. If iface_* doesn't exist, then why does it work on my
15 > machine?
16
17 Maybe backwards compatability? Maybe it's simply ignored and the
18 system is working on pure defaults which fit to your system?
19
20 >> > I once found a note in some other obscure doc that iface_eth0 seems to
21 >> > be the syntax for ifconfig, while config_eth0 seems to be for iproute2.
22 >> > Can anyone confirm or deny this?
23 >>
24 >> Check out the documentation in /etc/conf.d/net.example. It'll deny
25 >> that iface_* is for one tool and config_* for the other tool.
26 >
27 > I read it, but it doesn't deny anything -
28
29 True. Just like it doesn't deny the (hypothetical) existance of a
30 "alexander_skwar_is_an_idiot" configuration setting.
31
32 > it simply doesn't mention
33 > iface_* at all.
34
35 Which means, that it doesn't exist, IMO. It makes no sense to mention
36 what does NOT exist, as this list would be endless. It only makes sense
37 to mention what exists, and this *should* be a complete list.
38
39 > Maybe iface_* is deprecated, but I've used it since
40 > 2005.0 and that's what the docs said then.
41
42 Fine. And now we've got 2006.
43
44 > I haven't seen any updates
45 > about it either. The baselayout ebuild has several checks at the end for
46 > old deprecated files and veriables, but iface_* isn't one of them.
47
48 File a bug about net.example not mentioning iface_* or about the baselayout
49 ebuild not checking for the deprecated variable.
50
51 Alexander Skwar
52 --
53 Es ist ein Unglück, nicht genug Geist zu haben, um eine Rede zu halten
54 und nicht genug Selbsterkenntnis, um zu schweigen.
55 -- Jean de la Bruyère
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list