From: "Florian v. Savigny" <lorian@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel update messed up console encoding
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 09:36:21
1 Hi Sebastian,
2
3 > That is a problem of the consolefont, since the console can't display it
4 > with cp1250...
5
6 Maybe - if this font has codepage 1250, as one would assume, it should
7 normally display a capital A with a short accent (I think that's a
8 slavonic letter) in position hex c3. True, that is different from the
9 capital A tilde it should have in iso-8859-1. But this is hardly the
10 heart of the matter- the c3 shouldn't be there in the first place.
11
12 > echo "äöüÄÖÜß" > console.test
13 > then write the same in emacs and save as emacs.test.
14 >
15 > And then compare the output of
16 >
17 > file console.test
18 > and
19 > file emace.test
20 >
21 > If there are differences, somewhere here lies the Problem
22
23 But I have already described the result of the first procedure in my
24 first posting (UTF-8 when echoed under the new kernel, iso-8859-1 when
25 echoed under the old kernel) and the result of the second one - IN
26 DETAIL - in my last posting (too long to repeat; see there), which I
27 assume you have read. Have I missed something?
28
29 > locale
30 > should shown it to you
31
32 Thanks. $LANG and $LC_ALL are not set (i.e. locale simply shows
33 "LANG=" and "LC_ALL=" with no values). All other LC_... variables are
34 set to "POSIX".
35
36 > > Does nobody know where the kernel controls what the keys of the
37 > > console keyboard send when pressed?
38 > >
39 > > (BTW, KEYMAP="de-latin1-nodeadkeys", in /etc/conf.d/keymaps.)
40 >
41 > Exactly there.
42
43 Could you explain that, please (do you perhaps mean "this is where the
44 kernel's behaviour IS CONTROLLED")? As I have repeatedly said, all
45 variable settings are of course the same under both kernels, so both
46 definitely behave differently with the same settings.
47
48 Regards,
49 Florian
50
51 PS: Just one thing: do you think you could cite only those portions of
52 postings that you are replying to? Having to wade through tons of
53 cited material to find any replies is quite hard on the eyes,
54 especially when understanding one another seems to be difficult.