From: "Albert W. Hopkins" <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What xorg pkgs needed for X to work
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 20:14:30
1 On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 12:03 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Sorry for the awkwardly phrased subject... but couldn't think of
3 > anything better.
4 >
5 > I'm rebuilding my home desktop with a full reinstall
6 >
7 > So far haven't gotten to getting X working... but did notice that when
8 > I test what all gets installed with:
9 >
10 > emerge -vp xfce4-meta
11 >
12 > I notice that xorg-x11 is not amongst the... dependencies.
13 >
14 > xorg-server is absent as well, but I seem to recall a more basic xorg
15 > pkgs being involved. Maybe something like xorg-base... or whatever.
16 >
17 > Apparently something has happened with naming of pkgs or something,
18 > that I haven't kept up with.
19 >
20 > But can a user really get use out of xfce4-meta with no xorg-server?
21
22 Yes, in same way a user can can get use out of Firefox without
23 installing Apache ;-). X11 is client/server based. Client(s) and
24 server need not exist on the same machine, and a server can serve
25 multiple distributed clients simultaneously without any local clients.
26
27 You probably want:
28
29 $ # set up VIDEO_CARDS and INPUT_DEVICES as appropriate
30 $ emerge -vp xfce4-meta xorg-server