From: "»Q«" <boxcars@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is this a bug in firefox-36.0?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 19:43:00
1 On Tue, 17 Mar 2015 17:47:04 -0700
2 Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 03/17/2015 04:49 PM, walt wrote:
5 > > I get a certificate verification error when visiting
6 > > https://www.att.com using firefox-36.0, but not when using
7 > > chrome-41.0.2272.76.
8 > >
9 > > Anyone else see the same with firefox-36?
10
11 FWIW, I don't see an error with firefox-36.0.1 and nss-3.17.4
12
13 > > BTW, I tried the latest firefox in a Win7 virtual machine and I was
14 > > shocked to see that firefox was updating itself when I was logged in
15 > > as an unprivileged user (i.e. *not* an Administrator). Are the
16 > > idiots at M$ *really* that stupid? They've learned nothing,
17 > > apparently, since Win 95 :(
18 >
19 > Remove the 'Mozilla Maintenance Service' from Programs & Features (or
20 > whatever it's called) and it won't auto update. Mozilla installs a
21 > privileged service that auto updates its software.
22
23 It will still auto-update, but it won't do so silently -- without the
24 service, automagic updates will trigger Windows' warning prompt. To
25 just turn off autoupdate, there's a checkbox in the Firefox GUI.