From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Debian just voted in systemd for default init system in jessie
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 08:08:49
1 On 28/02/14 08:47, Stroller wrote:
2 > On Wed, 26 February 2014, at 8:29 pm, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> …
4 >> * Netscape (under AOL) aimed at becoming a pseudo-OS on top of Windows.
5 >> We know how that turned out.
6 > You appear to be underestimating it - whilst the AOL suite was hated by many of those "forced to use it" (I guess in the late 90's or early 00's), it is / was so massively popular with grannies that it is still available today.
7 >
8 > Dial-up division is still AOL's most profitable division, earning them $500m per year,[1] and I would attribute the popularity of the AOL desktop suite to this.
9 >
10 > I've seen this profitability attributed to "misinformed customers" who "don't know they no-longer need AOL now they have DSL", but having been told by a number of people that all they want out of their computer is their AOL, I find it had to agree with that characterisation.
11 >
12 > AOL's desktop suite has certainly not been a failure for the company.
13 >
14 > Stroller.
19 > [1] http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/02/18/aol-dial-up-profits/
23 This must be a US -only thing since I've never even heard of AOL
24 desktop/suite before, even while lived through the 90's and the bulletin
25 board times (as being a SysOp myself ;-)