From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: sound hosed after running python-updater
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 07:41:37
1 On Tuesday 02 September 2008 09:28:41 Dale wrote:
2
3 > >>
4 > >> root@smoker / # revdep-rebuild -i --ask <<<<<<--------- I entered
5 > >> this <<<------
6 > >>
7 > >> Encountered unrecognized option --ask. <<<<<------ It said this
8 > >> <<<<------
9 > >>
10 > >> revdep-rebuild no longer automatically passes unrecognized options to
11 > >> portage.
12 > >> Separate emerge-only options from revdep-rebuild options with the --
13 > >> flag.
14 > >>
15 > >> For example, revdep-rebuild -v -- --ask
16 > >
17 > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
18 > > You missed this bit. It's working as designed.
19 > >
20 > > Command line parsers are written this way to avoid option conflicts. If
21 > > revdep-rebuild and emerge both have -a options, which one should be used?
22 > > Logic says it should be revdep-rebuild gets the -a option but what if you
23 > > do want to pass it to emerge? That's why there's a "--" and why you have
24 > > to use it
25 >
26 > I saw that but look at what I entered. I did enter --ask or am I still
27 > missing something? My command was 'revdep-rebuild -i --ask'. What
28 > should the command be for it to ask whether to update or not and pass it
29 > on to emerge?
30
31 You said this:
32
33 revdep-rebuild -i --ask
34
35 revdep-rebuild doesn't have an -a option so you get an error just like every
36 other time you use wrong options with commands. You should have said this
37
38 revdep-rebuild -i -- -ask
39 ^^
40 NB!!
41
42 Which is what the output was telling you all along. Previously you didn't need
43 the "--", but that leads to all manner of horrible screw-ups
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com