From: Andreas Fink <finkandreas@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox automatic update???
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2020 07:28:32
1 On Thu, 12 Nov 2020 07:55:18 +0100
2 n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > I was just informed by firefox on one of my gentoo machines that firefox
5 > has updated, I need to restart.
6 >
7 > I no longer find an option to disable automatic update.  Is there no hope?
8 >
9 > And do I have to go through another 18 hour firefox emerge to get rid of
10 > their "update"?  Or is their binary sitting somewhere different from
11 > "our" binary?
12 >
13 > Oh!  Can I just remove their binary and do a resume-emerge?
17 When firefox is updated via emerge while it is still running, this
18 update is recognised by the running instance and it will tell you that
19 firefox was updated and needs a restart. No automatic update happened
20 as you assume, it was all done by the package manager.
21 If you insist, you can check the binary that is currently running, and
22 you will most certainly find out that it is not writeable by your user
23 account, i.e. not by the user that is running firefox:
24 pgrep -a firefox
25
26 Cheers
27 Andreas