From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2015 15:33:04
1 Thanks for the responses to my inquiry re how long systems stay up.
2
3 My feeling for electronics is that equipment needs stability :
4 temperature + humidity should not vary much
5 & electrons need to flow thro' wires regularly.
6 That suggests a machine will do better if left running.
7
8 I don't like the idea of phoning my ISP's help desk
9 with an ill-defined problem : I can't be sure it will recur
10 if they ask me to go thro' a few restart cycles ;
11 the staff are probably trained to offer a few simple solutions ;
12 they may simply offer to send me a new router
13 or worse to send me a modem instead, which is harder to set up.
14 The problem probably lies in their server :
15 my router enjoys constant conditions & shows no other signs of wear ;
16 if that's the case, ISP help staff may not even know what has changed.
17
18 I'm planning to build a new machine in the next few weeks,
19 so I also now plan to set it up to do suspend, hibernate etc ;
20 I've grabbed a few dox which explain what's involved.
21 Mick mentioned 'S3' = 'sleep' & 'S4' = 'hibernation' in this connection :
22 what do they mean ? Do they correspond to saving to RAM/disk ?
26 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
27 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
28 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca