From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A directory name with spaces in it?
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:24:09
1 Alexander Fortwinder wrote:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > I'm downloading a torrent file which created a directory name with spaces, so when I try to access it in bash,
5 > it is reported as not being found. How do I deal with it? For example, /home/This is a some directory
6 > Thanks for suggestions.
7 > Alex
8 >
9 You need to escape the spaces:
10
11 cd /home/This\ \ is\ a\ \ \ some\ directory
12
13 Put a \ in front of any special characters. Between This and is there
14 are 2 spaces, so it's \space\space.
15 Auto complete should help out here, just hit tab after the first few
16 letters. If more than one file/directory matches, it'll show you all the
17 matching examples.
18
19 PaulNM
20 --