From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USE flags handling
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2014 21:22:11
1 On 29/07/14 18:04, behrouz khosravi wrote:
2 > Hello everyone.
3 > I just concurred my fear and jumped to installing gentoo!
4 > So far so good!
5 > Before installing on my laptop and desktop, I am trying on virtual box
6 > and the system is running Fluxbox very good.(default profile)
7 > Now I am thinking about managing USE flags.
8 > What if I disable everything in the make.conf ( I mean USE="-*" ) and
9 > gradually add the needed flags to package.use?
10 > I am not trying to have severe control, I just want to expand my knowledge!
11 > thanks.
12 >
13 late to the conversation but no one else has mentioned, you might want
14 to take advantage of the newer way of doing use flags.
15 i.e. do not put them all in /etc/portage/make.conf
16 take advantage of the /etc/portage/package.use/ (you might need to
17 mkdir this)
18 in there you can put a single file per package requirements.
19
20 i.e. you try to emerge etherape, and it tells you that libgnomecanvas
21 requires use of glade
22 so cat the requirement into a file named by what requires it
23
24 $ cat /etc/portage/package.use/etherape
25 >=gnome-base/libgnomecanvas-2.30.3 glade
26
27 this also works for package.keywords etc
28
29 this means that you can more easily keep track of which use flags are
30 for which programs:
31 $ ls /etc/portage/package.use/
32 chromium efl freemind teamviewer transmission
33 compiz etherape gvfs terminator vinagre
34 darktable filemangler networkmanager thunar virtualbox
35 dvdrip firefox stellarium thunderbird wpa_supplicant
38 hth