From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:34:55
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:12:22 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> I don't trust my memory either so I looked it up. The most recent copy > of FHS I have is 2.2: > > "The /tmp directory must be made available for programs that require > temporary files. > "Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are > preserved between invocations of the program." > > It says nothing about reboots, that is a common mis-interpretation of > the standard.
But
> Why not just keep it as /var/tmp? Defined as: > > "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require > temporary files or directories that are preserved between system > reboots. Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than > data in /tmp.
So it does say that /tmp can't be relied upon to survive reboots, but not in the definition of /tmp :( AIUI FHS is for binary distros, so doesn't apply to Gentoo anyway.
Or mount /usr/portage on its own filesystem. I have it mounted on a sparse file as per http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage#MultiPurpose_Trick -- Neil Bothwick "A hundred years of forgetting and it all comes rushing back..."