From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Symlinking /usr/portage/distfiles
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:34:55
1 On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:12:22 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > I don't trust my memory either so I looked it up. The most recent copy
4 > of FHS I have is 2.2:
5 >
6 > "The /tmp directory must be made available for programs that require
7 > temporary files.
8 > "Programs must not assume that any files or directories in /tmp are
9 > preserved between invocations of the program."
10 >
11 > It says nothing about reboots, that is a common mis-interpretation of
12 > the standard.
13
14 But
15
16 > Why not just keep it as /var/tmp? Defined as:
17 >
18 > "The /var/tmp directory is made available for programs that require
19 > temporary files or directories that are preserved between system
20 > reboots. Therefore, data stored in /var/tmp is more persistent than
21 > data in /tmp.
22
23 So it does say that /tmp can't be relied upon to survive reboots, but
24 not in the definition of /tmp :(
25
26 AIUI FHS is for binary distros, so doesn't apply to Gentoo anyway.
27
28 > Portage shouldn't even begin to start thinking about belonging
29 > in /usr :-). That's why I have:
30 >
31 > nazgul ~ # cat /etc/make.conf | grep PORTDIR
32 > PORTDIR="/var/portage"
33
34 Or mount /usr/portage on its own filesystem. I have it mounted on a
35 sparse file as per
36 http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage#MultiPurpose_Trick
40 Neil Bothwick
41
42 "A hundred years of forgetting and it all comes rushing back..."