From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Printing from linux Laptop
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:22:25
1 Richard Fish wrote:
2
3 > On 7/18/06, Timothy A. Holmes <tholmes@×××××××××.net> wrote:
4 >> Hi folks:
5 >>
6 >> I am looking for a resource / howto to set up printing from my laptop
7 >> (gentoo / fluxbox) to 2 printers that are being shared on my windows XP
8 >> desktop as well as printers shared from my print server (windows 2003
9 >> AD)
10 >
11 > Have you looked at the official documentation:
12 >
13 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/printing-howto.xml
14
15 If you want to print through your WinXP machine *without* Samba then you
16 need to set it up to share printers with unix machines. Go to:
17 Control Panel
18 Add/Remove Programs
19 Add/Remove Windows Components
20 Other Network File and Print Services
21 Print Services for UNIX.
22
23 This service will need to be started manually (from admin tools) or added to
24 your start up list (Run: msconfig.exe). You may well need to configure
25 your WinXP firewall for this and it would be a good idea to limit
26 connections to your Linux box LAN IP address.
27
28 I believe the above should do what you want, but I haven't tried it myself.
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list