From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] problem emerging kde-meta
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 22:38:50
1 On Thursday 01 March 2007, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] problem emerging kde-meta':
3 > On Thursday 01 March 2007 22:54:43 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
4 > > Your problem is that you are trying to mix them. That is difficult or
5 > > impossible and is AFAIK not supported.
6 >
7 > Quoting [1]: "Split and monolithic ebuilds can be mixed freely. The only
8 > restriction is that a monolithic ebuild can't be installed at the same
9 > time as a split ebuild deriving from it. There are blocking dependencies
10 > in the ebuilds that enforce this, so you can do anything emerge allows
11 > you to do."
12
13 Sweet. I didn't know the Gentoo devs were that cool. The restriction is
14 only logical.
15
16 > I'm in favour of removing the monolithic
17 > ebuilds too though. They seem to cause more confusion than they are
18 > worth. :)
19
20 Agreed. It's always possible for ebuild developers to depend on the -meta
21 package until they can determine what individual libraries/apps/etc. they
22 need from it. Unfortunately, until we get a good confcache-style program,
23 emerging the -meta ebuild does take a bit longer than emerging the
24 monolithic version. (Yes, I konw, this time is saved later on when you
25 don't have to compile everything again for a later release.)
28 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
29 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
30 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
31 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
32 New GPG Key! Old key expires 2007-03-25. Upgrade NOW!