From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 12:38:25
1 On 2013-08-27 8:25 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 06:33:52 -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >
4 >> Ummm... I didn't suggest that ZFS be shipped with or distributed with
5 >> the kernel...
6 >>
7 >> I was talking about some kind of overlay or patch system, where I could
8 >> add zfs to my kernel use flag, and it would pull the gentoo-sources
9 >> from wherver it pulls them, and pul;l the patch from a
10 >> *separate*/*different* source/location, and then put the patch where it
11 >> needs to go to be properly compiled into the kernel.
12 >
13 > I already posted the script I use to do exactly that.
14 >
15 > emerge gentoo-sources
16 > run the script
17 >
18 > I wonder it it would be possible to have the spl and zfs-kmod ebuilds do
19 > this with an appropriate USE flag.
20
21 Thats what I'm looking for... something that is automatic and basically
22 'just works'.
23
24 Manually running a script as part of each kernel update just... well,
25 computers do automation best.
26
27 But thanks very much for your script. I'm just not comfortable (at this
28 point at least) doing it that way on a production system...