From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Making a bootable USB flash drive from ISO image
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 22:30:39
1 On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 21:38:36 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > > They did something, but it's not particularly special. All they did
4 > > was run isohybrid (from syslinux) on the ISO image. It uses unused
5 > > space at the start of the DVD ISO specification that is normally left
6 > > blank to hold a partition table so the image can be copied to a USB
7 > > drive and appear as a partitioned disk.
8 >
9 > There must be a little more to it than that. Does it also install
10 > along with a parition table some bootloader code that knows where/how
11 > to boot the ISO boot image? [After a little googling] It also
12 > installs MBR bootloader code that knows how to find/load isolinux.bin:
13 >
14 > http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Isohybrid
15
16 Yes, the unused space contains the MBR; partition table and bootloader.
17 Plus it adds some more code at the end of the image.
18
19 I was also wrong in stating I use isohybrid for the LXFDVDs. I used to
20 but since switching to using GRUB to boot the DVDs, there is no need for
21 it. GRUB bootable DVD ISOs can boot from USB sticks by default.
22
23 That's the trouble with writing scripts to take care of routine tasks,
24 you forget when you are actually doing beyond running the script.
25
26 > Interestingly, it also created a second EFI boot partition which
27 > exists inside the main parition.
28
29 That must be a UEFI bootable disc. ISOs can have all sorts of strange
30 setups, I have to make the LXFDVDs readable on a Mac, which results in
31 an HFS+ filesystem being nested inside the ISO one.
35 Neil Bothwick
36
37 Become a gynaecologist, look up a friend today.