From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ghosting(?) a drive
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 01:54:38
1 On Nov 12, 2005, at 12:47 am, Christoph Eckert wrote:
4 >> Can anybody recommend any tool(s) for the job?
5 >> Gotchas? Does SATA prefer a certain fs?
6 >
7 > AFAIR there's a sourceforge project which does similar things like
8 > Ghost, but I do not remember the name, sorry.
9
10 I looked into this a while back & found 2:
11 http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4u/
12 http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/
13
14 I believe that one claims the other is a rip-off of his work, but from
15 a usage point-of-view both are open-source. I can't recall why I found
16 neither of them to be suitable for me in the past - I ended up using
17 `partimage` from the Knoppix CD.
18
19 `partimage` allowed me to save my partition images onto a USB
20 hard-drive & split them up to cope with the FAT32 file size limit. It
21 worked perfectly but I recall it took me a few tries to get it right as
22 the originating hard-drive had a number of partitions, primary &
23 logical.
24
25 Stroller.
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list