From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE, sddm etc security. Plus LVM question.
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2022 20:49:43
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Saturday, 19 March 2022 12:33:16 GMT Anna “CyberTailor” wrote:
4 >>> On 2022-03-19 06:08, Dale wrote:
5 >>>> Anna “CyberTailor” wrote:
6 >>>>> The only secure lockscreen is XScreenSaver.
7 >>>>> https://www.jwz.org/blog/2021/01/i-told-you-so-2021-edition/
8 >>>> I have that installed here. Question now is, is that what locks my
9 >>>> screen or is KDE/sddm/something else doing that besides xscreensaver.
10 >>>> From my poking around, I don't think I'm using xscreensaver. I'm trying
11 >>>> to figure out how that works so I can get it to be used with KDE and any
12 >>>> other GUI I use. Being able to use ctrl+alt=L would be a nice bonus.
13 >>> Add a custom keybinding for Ctrl+Alt+L Ctrl+Alt+Lso it executes:
14 >>>
15 >>> xscreensaver-command --lock
16 >> Ctrl+Alt+L locks the screen here, after logging in to Plasma via SDDM. I
17 >> didn't set that myself, so it seems to be a default value.
20 > I think when I logout and back in, it may work better.  I put in a
21 > config file in KDE autostart and when I want to lock the screen, it
22 > triggers xscreensaver instead of the usual KDE lock screen.  That's the
23 > theory anyway.  I just finished my updates so I should be able to test
24 > in a bit.
25 >
26 > The only downside, it activates the screensaver and locks the screen
27 > when I'm watching videos right now.  That may change when I logout and
28 > back in to but right now, I had to stop xscreensaver.  I tend to leave
29 > the screen saver turned off anyway and just lock the screen when I want
30 > it to power off the monitor etc.
31 >
32 > We'll know in a bit.  I'll post updates in case someone else here wants
33 > to switch or googles up this thread.
34 >
35 > Dale
36 >
37 > :-)  :-)
41 OK.  This isn't going well.  It still goes into screen saver even tho I
42 have it disabled completely in settings and does it after one minute
43 even with smplayer actively playing a video.  That's not going to work
44 for me at all.  Big time problem.  Basically, all I want is to lock the
45 screen when I tell it to lock.  That's it.
46
47 Another issue, ctrl+alt+L doesn't trigger xscreensaver but still
48 triggers KDE's screen saver.  It can likely be fixed but the problem
49 above has to be fixed first.
50
51 At the moment, I've taken xscreensaver out of the loop.  Got some other
52 stuff to deal with at the moment anyway. Got a new fishing rod and
53 reel.  :-D
54
55 Dale
56