From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The sudden disappearance of ....WHAT??? (I/O error on a SD flash card?!)
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 09:24:23
1 On 03/26 04:50, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On 26/03/17 15:26, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > On 03/26 03:04, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
4 > > > On 26/03/17 14:25, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
5 > > > > On 03/26 05:50, tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
6 > > > > > On 03/26 11:21, Adam Carter wrote:
7 > > > > > > Step 1: dd the contents into an image
8 > > > > > >
9 > > > > > > ddrescue is probably a better option than plain dd.
10 > > > > > >
11 > > > > > > step 2: put the sdcard to one side.
12 > > > > > > > step 3: loopback mount a copy of the image (not the original)
13 > > > > > > > step 4: try recovering the filesystem on the loopback, if it fails ... try
14 > > > > > > > something else on another image copy
15 > > > > > >
16 > > > > > >
17 > > > > > > Yep, once you've got the image mounted loopback, you can run
18 > > > > > > testdisk/photorec depending on how bad it is.
19 > > > > >
20 > > > > > Hi all,
21 > > > > >
22 > > > > > thanks a lot for all help! :)
23 > > > > >
24 > > > > > Currently I am ddresucueing the flashcard to the harddisc.
25 > > > > > Next I will try to mount the sdcard.
26 > > > > >
27 > > > > > What reliable sdcard-reader can one recommend ?
28 > > > > > (...sorry if this sentence sounds harsh...I it by no means meant
29 > > > > > that way...I am no native speaker... :)
30 > > > > >
31 > > > > > Cheers
32 > > > > > Meino
33 > > > > >
34 > > > > >
35 > > > >
36 > > > > Hi,
37 > > > >
38 > > > > Is the assumption correct, that -- if ddrescue could read each
39 > > > > partitions of the sdcard without stuttering, retries and errors --
40 > > > > the sdcard itsself is ok and "only" the logical structure
41 > > > > (fs, superblock etc) got damaged?
42 > > > > Or do I overlook something?
43 > > > >
44 > > > > (Background: I dont want to put a sdcard into the bin, if
45 > > > > fdisking & reformatting that beast would gives me back an ok
46 > > > > media...)
47 > > > >
48 > > > > Cheers
49 > > > > Meino
50 > > > >
51 > > > >
52 > > > >
53 > > > >
54 > > >
55 > > > The dd gets you the best chance to work on the data before it completely
56 > > > fails. In my experience the sdcard will only get worse ending with total
57 > > > failure - if it hasn't already.
58 > > >
59 > > > If the dd dump comes up rubbish and cant be recovered, the actual sdcard
60 > > > will be worse. You can run "strings" against the image to see if there is
61 > > > any text in there (or even cat the /dev/sdcard node through strings) to see
62 > > > if the bits are still there.
63 > > >
64 > > > I dont know of a cdparanoia type recovery utility for sdcards but I suspect
65 > > > sdcard design means that approach wont work.
66 > > >
67 > > > BillK
68 > > >
69 > > >
70 > > >
71 > >
72 > > Hi Bill,
73 > >
74 > > I got mixed results: There are three partitions on the sdcard from
75 > > which I could fully recover (even mount it directly via loop device)
76 > > the first and the third one.
77 > >
78 > > The second one is screwed up.
79 > >
80 > > Running fsch.ext4 against the image it starts with "bad superblock"
81 > > and suggests two alternatives.
82 > >
83 > > I started fsch.ext4 again while using -b to define the alternate
84 > > superblock and it starts to ask me *zillions of question, which
85 > > I all answered with 'yes' in a first attempt (I have a backup of the
86 > > image...).
87 > > The result was an image, which I could mount again.
88 > > But beside 'lost+found' with some small rests of something which
89 > > may be files in a previous life nothing was there....
90 > >
91 > > Currently it looks to me, that something has totally messed up the fs
92 > > there.
93 > >
94 > > What do you think?
95 > >
96 > > Cheers
97 > > Meino
103 > Sounds like its toast :(
104 >
105 > I have never had a lot of luck with any of the ext file systems - you have
106 > to baby them and they corrupt very easily compared to others. I try and
107 > avoid them ...
108 >
109 > BillK
114 Hi Bill,
115
116 ...the SDcard is for my Android tablet, which runs kernel 3.6.x.something (Lollipop)
117 if I remember correctly. With the App Linux Deploy I installed Linux
118 on another partition of the sdcard and used to chroot into it.
119
120 With what filesystem did you made good experiences of, Bill? My GENTOO PC
121 (with which I am currently writing this email) also uses ext4...and
122 your last mail makes me nervous...very nervous...
123
124 For my tablet I have to use an filesystem, which is supported by and
125 compiled into the kernel. Unfortunately, there is no alternative
126 Android build for this tablet...
127 In this case it is ext4 and vfat...and of that both I think ext4 is
128 better...
129
130 Cheers
131 Meino