From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gupnp enforces connman || networkmanager
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2014 08:34:32
1 On Sun, 15 Jun 2014 01:31:25 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Maybe I want farstream. Maybe I want upnp for it.
4 > Maybe I don't care for connman or networkmanager (I use wicd, some users
5 > want no nw manager at all)
6 >
7 > So, what is the sense behind a feature of an instant messenger framework
8 > causing me to decide between two undesirable connection managers?
9 >
10 > Anyone see some valid logic that I miss?
11
12 I see two separate issues here. If you re going to depend on a network
13 manager, there should be a virtual - networkmanager, connman, wicd, openrc
14 and systemd all have that capability.
15
16 Secondly, I agree with you that there seems no need to require a network
17 manager just to use a networked service. After all, people use IM on
18 desktop computers with wired connections. What matters is that you have a
19 network connection, not the mechanics used to set it up.
23 Neil Bothwick
24
25 If at first you don't succeed, give up. No use being a damn fool.