From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing or renaming old /boot/grub directory warning
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2022 09:12:53
1 On Saturday, 5 February 2022 08:37:48 GMT Dale wrote:
2 > Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 5 Feb 2022 at 07:37, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > >> Should I reinstall grub after removing the old directory so it puts
5 > >> things where it needs to be or what? Or does a new install have that
6 > >> old directory too? While at it, is there something that can give me
7 > >> better options in cases like this or do I need to stop renaming stuff?
8 > >
9 > > For what it's worth, this machine is new enough to only ever having
10 > > had grub2 on it, and the directory in /boot is still named /boot/grub
11 > >
12 > > Regards,
13 > > Arve
14 >
15 > I have a grub, old from original install, and grub2, that was added when
16 > I switched to the new grub. I would have thought the old directory was
17 > no longer needed but it appears it is for some reason.
18
19 You don't provide enough information about your /boot, fs layout, etc., so it
20 is difficult to know why the new GRUB2 failed to work. As a rule of thumb, if
21 GRUB2 had worked before the likely problem is file corruption, or forgetting
22 to run grub-mkconfig after you made and copied over your new kernel and initrd
23 - it depends on what the message was when it failed to boot and what file it
24 couldn't find.
25
26 I'd run fsck on the /boot partition to make sure there is no fs corruption and
27 hdparm on the disk would be advisable too.
30 > I've reinstalled
31 > using the grub-mkconfig command but have not reinstalled using the
32 > grub-install command. I'm tempted to rename the old directory, install
33 > like I would from a fresh new install, MBR and all, then see if it
34 > boots. Thing is, having to use the rescue tools if it fails is a bit of
35 > a pain. Also, I need to let my hair regrow a bit. ;-)
36
37 Take a look at this page to make sure you don't remove some GRUB file needed
38 for a boot:
39
40 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2_Migration
41
42 There are other GRUB related pages in the wiki to help with configuring GRUB2.
43
44 BTW, you don't need the old legacy GRUB as a fall back to boot your system.
45 You can use a LiveCD/DVD/USB and you can configure your GRUB2 to boot this
46 from your /boot, or some rescue partition on disk. Of course, if GRUB or your
47 /boot fs/partition is borked, then a LiveUSB is always handy. ;-)