From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] recommended applications
Date: Sun, 24 May 2015 19:25:39
1 On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 03:02:13PM +0430, behrouz khosravi wrote
2 > Hello everyone. After spending about a year in the world of linux (and
3 > mostly beloved gentoo!) I have realized that the key to a stable and fast
4 > machine is to keep the system as small as possible.
5 > So I am going to use console based tools mostly. I will also replace KDE
6 > with i3wm.
7 >
8 > What do you recommend as a replacement for kmail? (is mutt a good choise?)
9
10 Note that text-based tools split the download-from-ISP, read-the-email,
11 and upload-to-ISP functions. I use getmail to download email. I've
12 used mutt for years as my mail-client (reading email). It's text-based,
13 but you can have it invoke W3M to read HTML email as text email. For
14 the filtering function, I use procmail. It allows me to read from
15 multiple ISPs and direct email into multiple mailboxes (a many-to-many
16 relation). For MTA (sending email out) functionality I use ssmtp.
19 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
20 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications