From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: USE=X
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2015 20:33:37
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > There's nothing magic about a profile. All it does is set a bunch of
5 > variables and possibly specify some extra apps to be merged. It's a
6 > convenience, and there's nothing to stop you from finding out what those
7 > variables are and adding them to USE yourself, and adding the packages
8 > to world yourself.
9
10 Agreed. Better to set (configure for) a flag twice than not at all....
14 > For hardened, there is no hardened desktop profile. Apparently that was
15 > a world of pain for the devs. Adding desktop software to a hardened
16 > system is easy, hardening a desktop system is harder. So I'd say chose a
17 > hardened profile, then add X to USE and merge your choice of WM/DE
18
19 Sure, I'd go the full blown SeLinux route if I want/needed each app
20 secured. Maybe SVEN will start with SeLinux config opens for each app
21 that needs it? Or a ansible_after_the_install_file ? Too much for
22 me to contemplate for now. Pentoo is coming along quite nicely....
23
24 What I'm really looking for is a sane approach to flags on a myriad of
25 systems that I plan to install, manage and dynamically modify via
26 ansible. Ansible_fever is taking control over my thoughts and actions....
27
28 I'm going to start a new thread as this line of thinking has me
29 looking for a logical way to sanely manage a myriad of gentoo systems
30 flags for a large variety of (gentoo) systems. Save your ideas, a new
31 thread is being formulated with some other issues mixed in....
32
33 > [1] When wayland becomes a first-class Linux citizen, this will likely
34 > change
35
36 Yep, but that's being avoided by me for now, as I think that puppy
37 (Weyland) is going to a difficult roll out to say the least....
41 thx,
42 James