From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: Users Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Wireless N PCMCIA/CardBus Recommendations...
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:45:07
1 After several years, I am not getting around to upgrading my wireless router -
2 from a Linksys WRT54G to a Cisco Linksys E4200.
3 While I am at it, I am also considering getting a new wireless card for my D600
4 laptop to at least augment the internal b43-legacy supported Broadcom 43xx card
5 that generally works, but is also a pain to keep working.
6
7 While it's easy to find a USB Wireless card, I'm not really interested in them -
8 the form factor is generally prone to breaking and my D600 laptop only has two
9 USB-ports (its main flaw), one of which I use for a USB mouse when its not in
10 the docking station - when it is, I can't use either as they are both in the
11 back and blocked by the docking station - so a USB wireless is kind of
12 problematic as I would then have to take it out to dock the laptop (undesirable
13 to say the least).
14
15 So that leaves me with using one of the open PCMCIA card slots. I have two wired
16 PCMCIA adapters, useful mostly for multi-network and diagnostics; so the slots
17 are open.
18
19 I'd like to keep the cost down - $50 USD or less; and am pretty open to
20 different brands. However, I've found the lookups - at least linuxwireless.org -
21 to be a little troublesome in identifying to actual cards, so I'm looking for
22 some good recommendations.
23
24 Thus far I've looked at:
25
26 Cisco-Linksys WPC600N
27 Cisco-Linksys WEC600N
28 Cisco-Linksys WPC300N
29
30 But I haven't been able to determine if they are supported under Linux.
31 Open to other suggestions too - so long as PCMCIA compatible.
32
33 Thanks,
34
35 Ben