From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quick and dirty install of google chrome binary package
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 2012 23:00:24
1 On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 14:47:01 -0800
2 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 02/08/2012 01:47 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 16:45:18 +0000
6 > > Mick<michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >
8 > >> Must you use Chrome? What's wrong with Chromium?
9 >
10 > > Chrome is a binary blob
11 > > Chromium is built from source
12 > > There used to be a chromium-bin a while ago but the maintainer got
13 > > fed up with the hassles of building the damn thing for multiple
14 > > arches and gave up.
15 > >
16 > > The OP *did* say in his opening post that he was fed up with the
17 > > multi-hour emerge when building chromium, hence his desire to tweak
18 > > the chrome ebuild
19 >
20 > Heh. I'm often guilty of posting to long threads without reading the
21 > whole involved thing first.
22
23 You're in good company :-)
24
25 Done that too - more than once!
28 > I just learned that 'chromium' still exists, and the reason that
29 > chromium-bin disappeared from portage. Not bad work for one thread :)
36 Alan McKinnnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com