From: John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] applications cannot access anything on youtube
Date: Sun, 06 Mar 2022 18:28:21
1 On Sun, 06 Mar 2022 12:31:55 -0500,
2 Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >
4 > On Sun, Mar 6, 2022 at 12:20 PM John Covici <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > OK, I discovered that if I add 8.8.8.8 to my resolv.conf,
7 > > www.youtube.com becomes accessible. I would like not to have either
8 > > google or cloudflare in there, if I can avoid them -- they were
9 > > blocking some places I wanted to go to with a 521 error code. So, the
10 > > mystery deepens.
13 > Actually, it got a lot simpler. You ruled out host, nsswitch, etc
14 > issues. This is just a DNS server issue. Run:
15 > dig www.youtube.com @8.8.8.8
16 > dig www.youtube.com @127.0.0.1
17 > dig www.youtube.com @198.7.0.5
18 >
19 > All three should resolve something reasonable (it is ok if they don't
20 > resolve the same - load balancing/etc can result in that). If any
21 > fail to resolve then that DNS server has issues. At that point you
22 > need to check the config on that DNS server.
23
24 Its not my server, and seems to return nothing. But the questionis
25 that since 127.0.0.1 works, why do my applications not work? Should I
26 put 127.0.0.1 last -- I thought it should always be first as it would
27 be the fastest.
30 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
31 How do
32 you spend it?
33
34 John Covici wb2una