From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building kernel with floppy support
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2018 11:10:22
1 On Sun, 10 Jun 2018 05:01:51 -0400 Shea Alterio wrote:
2 > Hi everybody
3 >
4 > I've got a mini form factor Pentium 4 I just acquired. I have a huge amount
5 > of floppy disks to make backup images of as well as write to new floppies.
6 > Yeah I know, floppies suck, but i thought i could use Gentoo on it to make
7 > the process less painful. This is a plain internal floppy drive so not a
8 > USB one. Do you need build any packages with floppy support or just make
9 > sure it's in the kernel?
10
11 Just enable it in the kernel: COFNIG_BLK_DEV_FD will be sufficient
12 unless something rare like AMIGA/ATARI/MAC floppy is used, they
13 have separate config opttions.
14
15 If you want FAT tools, install sys-fs/dosfstools.
16
17 > When i was doing some googling to see if i would
18 > have issues trying to do floppy stuff with the latest kernels, it seemed
19 > like that could be a potential issue.
20
21 No, it works just fine.
22
23 > I will do my main compiling on my main PC then send it to the P4 to keep it
24 > from burning itself up. haha.
27 Best regards,
28 Andrew Savchenko