From: Kenneth Prugh <ken69267@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Huge problem
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:40:00
1 On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 17:15:34 +0200
2 econti <contiemilio@×××××.it> wrote:
3
4 > Hi all,
5 > after upgrading xorg, yesterday I started to upgrade gcc (from 3.x to
6 > 4.x) following the Gentoo GCC Upgrade Guide. All went well up to
7 > "emerge -eav system".
8 > The command seemed work fine but, for some reason, it was not able to
9 > emerge "man-pages". The process aborted.
10 > I added other gentoo sites to my make.conf and emerged the remaining
11 > portages starting from "man-pages".
12 > At the end running etc-update I found 26 config files to upgrade .
13 > Surely I did something wrong (to upgrade "udev" I had to unmerge
14 > "coldplug") and the result has been a failure in booting gentoo.
15 > Here is the message:
16 >
17 > /sbin/rc: line 400: start: command not found
18 > Failed to start /etc/init.d/checkroot
19 > One or more critical startup scripts failed to start!
20 > Please correct this, and reboot ...
21 >
22 > Any suggestion? Should I reinstall everything?
23 >
24 > Regards
25 > Emilio
28 Try re-emerging sys-apps/baselayout.