From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 21:46:14
1 On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 4:35 PM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
2 > And I thought vnc sends a copy of what is displayed on the screen, so if
3 > you were running a program that renders something on the screen and
4 > uses/requires a graphics card for that, you should be able to see what
5 > it renders. If you can't see that, vnc is of very limited use. How
6 > does RDP deal with this?
7
8 VNC sends a copy of what is in the framebuffer, which may or may not
9 be displayed on a physical screen. You can have a framebuffer on a
10 machine that has no display outputs at all. You can have 10,000
11 different framebuffers running on the PC you're working on right now
12 assuming you have the RAM for it. I haven't set this up recently, but
13 I believe that's basically what x2go does out of the box (except it
14 uses NX instead of VNC).
15
16 RDP is capable of functioning without physical console attached.
17 Consumer versions of windows may block doing much of this for
18 licensing reasons, but certainly at work we've had 20+ users connected
19 a single citrix server at once.
22 Rich