From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] xrdb hangs login
Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 19:13:33
1 Hello,
2
3 MY gentoo laptop has been working fine for years.... However, now
4 upon login
5 (of any user) it hangs. SSh into the machine and I see that
6 xrdb is hung. Killing
7 off the process allows the kde login apps to complete and
8 everything else is
9 normal. I have re-emerged kdebase but this does not fix the
10 problem. xrdb is
11 not even installed. I had this problem a while back, so I just
12 upgraded everything
13 and recompile half of the apps on the machine and it went away.
14 This is very
15 annoying. Any idea how to track down the culprit and fix this
16 ghost, permanently?
19 When I look at '/usr/kde/3.4/share/config/kdm/kdmrc'
20 <snip>
21 # Specify a file with X-resources for the greeter, chooser and background.
22 # The KDE frontend does not use this file, so you do not need it unless you
23 # use another background generator than krootimage.
24 # Default is ""
25 #Resources=
26 # The xrdb program to use to read the above specified recources.
27 # Subject to word splitting.
28 # Default is "/usr/bin/xrdb"
29 #Xrdb=
30 # A program to run before the greeter is shown. Can be used to start an
31 # xconsole or an alternative background generator. Subject to word splitting.
32 # Default is ""
33 Setup=/usr/kde/3.4/share/config/kdm/Xsetup
34 # A program to run before a user session starts. Subject to word splitting.
35 # Default is ""
36 Startup=/usr/kde/3.4/share/config/kdm/Xstartup
37 <end snip>
38
39 All looks fine....
40