From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 13:25:47
1 Hello, Philip.
2
3 On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 12:04:43AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
4 > How long do desktop users typically leave their systems between reboots ?
5 > How long between power off/on's ?
6
7 I switch my PC on in the morning when I want to start using it. I
8 switch it off before going to bed, or going out shopping, or things like
9 that. I don't like wasting electricity.
10
11 > I've long been in the habit of switching everything off while I sleep,
12 > then restarting after I've woken & got going again myself.
13 > However recently, I've run into delays getting my router
14 > (only 1 device attached) to shake hands successfully with my ISP's server,
15 > which have been requiring several power off/on's before it works.
16
17 Unfortunately, I need to leave my router permanently powered up, which I
18 resent. German telephone companies have been offering only VOIP
19 telephone connections for some while, now, which basically means that
20 instead of the companies converting IP packets into a telephone signal,
21 every subscriber's got to do it himself. So where people could
22 previously simply buy a telephone handset and plug it into the wall,
23 they've now potentially got to spend extra on a router and somehow
24 manage to configure that router. And of course, the router contuously
25 wastes electricity, waiting for that occasional incoming call, whereas
26 previously the handset was only powered up, from the exchange, when a
27 call was in progress. Progress this is not.
28
29 > As a result, I've started rebooting only after my weekly system update
30 > -- it means I get to use the new versions of everything --
31 > & not powering off at all ; the monitor + Xscreensaver are off
32 > whenever I'm away from the machine for >= 1 hr (approx).
33
34 > Are there any pro's/con's I sb aware of ?
35
36 > --
38 > SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
39 > ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
40 > TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca
43 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).