From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Software RAID-1
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 13:51:33
1 Hello list,
2
3 For several years I've been running with / on /dev/md5 (0.99 metadata), which
4 is built on /dev/sd[ab]5. At each boot I see a message scroll by saying
5 something like "No devices found in config file or automatically" and then lvm
6 continues to assemble md5 anyway and mount its file system. The rest of my
7 partitions are on /dev/md7 (1.0 metadata), which is built on /dev/sd[ab]7. Oh,
8 except for /boot, which is on /dev/sda1 with a copy on /dev/sdb1.
9
10 So I decided to clean up /etc/mdadm.conf by adding these lines:
11
12 DEVICE /dev/sda* /dev/sdb*
13 ARRAY /dev/md5 devices=/dev/sda5,/dev/sdb5
14 ARRAY /dev/md7 devices=/dev/sda7,/dev/sdb7
15 ARRAY /dev/md9 devices=/dev/sda9,/dev/sdb9
16
17 Now at boot time the no-devices error doesn't appear, but I get a blank line
18 with a red asterisk.
19
20 What am I doing wrong?
21
22 This is stimulated by this week's upgrade of lvm2, for which I need to make
23 some configuration changes, and I thought I ought to fix one thing at a time.
26 Regards
27 Peter