From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Best file system for portage tree?
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 13:31:51
1 Hi there!
2
3 Is there an advantage in putting the portage tree on an extra partition?
4
5 Currently, I'm using reiserfs, because I read that it is efficient when
6 using many small files. On the other hand I also heard that it tends to
7 get slower with every emerge --sync.
8
9 Space is no longer an argument in these days, at least for my desktop
10 machine. But I would like to optimize for speed -- emerge -DputnVj
11 @world takes quite a while to calculate, I assume this is because so many
12 ebuild files have to be accessed.
13
14 Any tips on this? Does it make sense to use a special file system just
15 for the portage tree? What would be best? Would it help to re-create this
16 file system from time to time in case it gets slower with every sync? Or
17 wouldn't I notice a difference if I just used a big ext4 partition for
18 all portage related stuff?
19
20 Anyone using a compressed RAM file system for that? :)
21
22 Wonko