From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removal of classic skype
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2017 16:56:21
1 On Saturday, 7 October 2017 17:32:21 BST Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > Due to the removal of qt4, all of its reverse dependencies are also going
3 > to be removed.
4 >
5 > This decision has already been made by the qt project and is not up for
6 > discussion.
7 >
8 > Furthermore, qt4 has a large number of security bugs and it has also been
9 > brought to my attention that it even fails to build in a few cases, and
10 > finally it is no longer being maintained by upstream. Therefore, due to
11 > the build failures making it impossible to even install in a large number
12 > of cases, and thus skype classic, I'm no longer going to maintain it.
13 >
14 > Anyone who really wants to keep classic skype still, feel free to install
15 > the "kde sunset" overlay to recover the soon-to-be-removed qt4 dependencies
16 > and for the moment make a snapshot of the ebuild before it is removed from
17 > the portage tree.
18 >
19 > Also, even though they haven't *yet* followed through, microsoft has
20 > announced already that the classic version of skype will eventually be
21 > EOL'ed. at the moment you're still able to install it as of 48 hours ago
22 > last time I checked, but it is on the chopping block and likely will
23 > eventually be removed from download, as well as banned from microsoft's
24 > login servers. Once this happens further usage will be impossible.
25 >
26 > No further support can be offered on skype classic, and it is eventually
27 > going to be removed from the portage tree for the reasons listed above.
28
29 Thank you for letting us know.
30
31 I have already moved to net-im/skypeforlinux because cross-platform usage of
32 (classic) skype started malfunctioning some months ago now. Skypeforlinux
33 works OK for me at present.
36 Regards,
37 Mick