From: Zind <wzmindlog@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Gentoo installation, network adapter not supported
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 08:17:08
1 hi all,
2 I am new to Gentoo. I came across some problems in the Gentoo installation
3 process.
4
5 I got a relatively new laptop: Lenovo IdeaPad Y400.
6 The Gentoo iso I choose is: admincd-amd64-20130620.iso, from:
7 http://distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20130620/hardened/
8 After I made the LiveUSB, disabling the UEFI boot, I finally boot into the
9 Gentoo kernel. But I could not connect to the network.
10 Using the `ifconfig -a` command, I can only see the loopback interface: lo.
11 Using the `lspci` command, I can see the two network adapters:
12 (1) the Ethernet adapter
13 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet
14 (2) the wireless adapter
15 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230
16 Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 2230 BGN
17 (The two network adapters both work well under Windows 8.)
18
19 After several times of STFW, I can confirm it's a network adapter driver
20 support issue: lacks of coresponding network adapter drivers.
21 For the AR8161 network adapter, it requires the alx kernal module: alx.ko.
22 Previously, I thought I could at least compile this driver by myself, but
23 soon I found it lacks of build-essential packages, too. :-(
24
25 For the wireless network adapter, I can find
26 iwlwifi-2030-6.ucode(coresponding to Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230 BGN
27 adapter) under /lib/firmware, I tried the `modprobe iwlwifi` command, still
28 doesn't work. Weird.
29
30 Uh... I don't know what to do next to continue the installation.
31 Any suggestion or advice is appreciated.
32
33 PS.
34 several links which I found useful:
35 http://askubuntu.com/questions/165192/how-do-i-install-drivers-for-the-atheros-ar8161-ethernet-controller