From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: no stinkin bootloaders!
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 13:42:52
1 Davide Carnovale <francesco.davide.carnovale <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > Hi James,
6 > I banged my head a little against this problem as my new laptop has no
7 option to turn the secure uefi off.
8 > I had no success with gentoo, but I was able to install fedora 18.
9 Although when recompiling the kernel to use my security key, I never managed
10 to boot it. I suspect the problem is with signing of the kernel... The guide
11 you posted seems a lot more accurate than the one I used to follow and has
12 pointer to other in depth articles. I think you might have a not too hard
13 time in building your bootable kernel if you follow it. I'll give it a spin
14 myself when I'll have some free time.
15 >
16 > Good luck and thanks for sharing!
17 > D
18
19 Hello David,
20
21 You might be interested to install Pentoo on that UEFI lappy:
22
23 http://code.google.com/p/pentoo/wiki/UEFI
24
25 Pentoo, is a hardened gentoo targeted with all sorts of tools
26 to keep your network secure, and have fun with those interlopers.....
27 Pentoo is very cool and has an old_fashion easy to install iso:
28
29 pentoo-amd64-2013.0_RC1.9.iso
30
31 Pentoo installation has worked best for me when I use another tool
32 to setup the drive(s). pentoo-installer is basic and mostly works
33 (I.E. pre --> EFI/GPT/UUID). At the end, you get a gentoo system with the
34 hardened tool chain, a hardened kernel and possible luks:
37 http://hardenedgentoo.blogspot.com/2010/02/installing-pentoo-on-hard-drive-with.html
40 All in all, I'm just learning bout these newest offerings. Later,
41 I hope to successfully put pentoo on top of ZFS as my ultimate goal.
42 Lots of work and lots of experimenting!
43
44 Good Hunting, and post back what you learn.
45 hth,
46 James