From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python 2.7 removal : problem with Firefox + Spidermonkey
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2020 13:40:33
1 On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 08:01:33PM -0400, james wrote
2
3 > Me, palemoon is my fav browser and it seems to be long term stuck on
4 > python 2.7...... Any suggests on a more secure, feature rich browser
5 > other than palemoon would be interesting to me to at least test.
6
7 Pale Moon is a Firefox fork and has inherited this dependancy from it.
8 I used to build Pale Moon manually on an older 32-bit CentOS chroot.
9 That CentOS version only went up to python 2.4, which did not work. I
10 had to download a python 2.7 tarball and build it in the home dir (yes,
11 it works). The Pale Moon build toolchain found it and it built OK. The
12 steps are...
13
14 #
15 # Name it whatever you want
16 mkdir pysource
17 cd pysource
18 wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.18/Python-2.7.18.tar.xz
19 tar xf Py*
20 cd Python-2.7.18
21 #
22 # Name it whatever you want
23 ./configure --prefix=$HOME/py27
24 make
25 #
26 # "su" or "sudo" is not required in the next step. You have write
27 # permission to your home directory.
28 make install
32 The "make" command may take while to build, depending on RAM and CPU
33 in your machine. Afterwards you probably have to include...
34
35 <dev-lang/python-3.0
36
37 ...in package.mask and also...
38
39 =dev-lang/python-2.7.18
40
41 ...in package.provided. Since the install in $HOME is not done by
42 Portage, it'll be left alone. You may still run into problems if an
43 ebuild looks for python files via hard-coded paths in /usr.
46 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
47 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications