From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] baselayout2/openrc question
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2010 06:11:24
1 On Tuesday 02 February 2010 06:03:10 David Relson wrote:
2 > G'day,
3 >
4 > I've been running baselayout-2 for several months and it's been working
5 > fine AFAICT. Over the weekend I noticed that my USB thumb drive is no
6 > longer automounting.
7 >
8 > This evening I ran "/etc/init.d/udev status" which reported:
9 >
10 > * status: stopped".
11 >
12 > Running "/etc/init.d/udev start" reported:
13 >
14 > * The udev init-script is written for baselayout-2!
15 > * Please do not use it with baselayout-1!.
16 > * ERROR: udev failed to start
17 >
18 > The message occurs because /etc/init.d/udev checks for
19 > /etc/init.d/sysfs, which is not present.
20 >
21 > Googling indicates that /etc/init.d/sysf comes from sys-apps/openrc. I
22 > have openrc-0.3.0-r1 installed (from long ago). openrc-0.6.0-r1 is
23 > available, though keyworded ~amd64. Unmasking it and running "emerge
24 > -p ..." shows that sysvinit is a blocker.
25 >
26 > Is it safe to delete sysvinit and emerge openrc-0.6.0-r1? Am I likely
27 > to get myself into troubleif I do this? If so, how much and how deep?
28
29 very very very very deep trouble if you restart the machine and everything is
30 not complete yet. Do not do that.
31
32 all version of baselayout-2 are marked unstable and you likely have an old
33 version of sysvinit that is not compatible with the ancient openrc you do
34 have. That openrc is not in portage anymore.
35
36 You should upgrade to the latest unstable portage (which supports
37 automatically resolving blockers). You need baselayout, openrc and sysvinit as
38 well as /etc/init.d/sysfs. I have none of these in world yet all are present.
39
40 With the latest portage, try again and let portage figure out for itself what
41 it wants to do.
45 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com