From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard drives not detected in repeatable order.
Date: Mon, 03 Oct 2011 20:22:19
1 On 2011-10-03, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 Oct 2011 20:01:16 Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Am 03.10.2011 20:40, schrieb Grant Edwards:
4 >> > Just recently I've run in to problems because my hard drives are not
5 >> > detected in a predictable order, so my fstab that mount /dev/sdb1 and
6 >> > /dev/sdc1 sometimes result in directory trees in the wrong places
7 >> > (/dev/sda seems consistent, but I don't know why).
8 >
9 > Is it perhaps because /dev/sda is PATA on IDE and the rest are SATA?
10
11 Two are SATA, one is Firewire. They used to be detected consistently
12 with the two SATA drives first and second and the firewire drive
13 third. Within the past few weeks, that changed, and sometimes the
14 Firewire drive shows up second
15
16 > UUID or labels will solve this problem for sure, but if you are still
17 > trying to find out what changed to cause this, have you looked at
18 > your BIOS settings and how it recognises the drives?
19
20 The only thing I can think of recently is the CPU upgrade, but that
21 was a couple months ago. About six weeks ago I updated the kernel
22 from 2.6.37 to 3.6.39, but the drive order randomness didn't start
23 until the past week or two (I only reboot once or twice a month, so
24 it's hard to pin down the date of the change).
25
26 > Have you changed anything on the physical side (jumpers, cables,
27 > etc)?
28
29 Not that I know of.
32 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! How's it going in
33 at those MODULAR LOVE UNITS??
34 gmail.com