From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] "Headless question": Harvesting the results...software needed.
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2014 13:26:45
1 Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi> [14-10-01 13:16]:
2 > > On Oct 1, 2014, at 5:54, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > >
4 > > Matti Nykyri <Matti.Nykyri@×××.fi> [14-10-01 00:26]:
5 > >>> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 08:12:38PM +0200, meino.cramer@×××.de
6 > >>> wrote: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi> [14-09-30 19:44]:
7 > >>>>>> On Sep 30, 2014, at 17:12, Alec Ten Harmsel
8 > >>>>>> <alec@××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
9 > >>>>>
10 > >>>>>
11 > >>>>>
12 > >>>>>> On 09/30/2014 10:05 AM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote: Suppose
13 > >>>>>> the GPS would already be attached to the board and works...
14 > >>>>>>
15 > >>>>>> Is there any free available software and data for strict
16 > >>>>>> offline useage (which does NOT calls to home), which is able
17 > >>>>>> to map GPS data to a street/land map? I need both: The maps
18 > >>>>>> themselves and the logic to read GPS coordinates and map
19 > >>>>>> movements and ways to those maps.
20 > >>>>>>
21 > >>>>>> Is something like that available for free or should I
22 > >>>>>> directly ask the NSA/CIA/FBI/...?
23 > >>>>>>
24 > >>>>>> Thank you very much in advance for any help! Best regards,
25 > >>>>>> mcc
26 > >>>>> The only project I know of that has openly available map data
27 > >>>>> is OpenStreetMap (openstreetmap.org). I know they have an API,
28 > >>>>> and they probably (not sure) have maps available for download.
29 > >>>>>
30 > >>>>> afaik the only way to combine various map data out of the box
31 > >>>>> is to use a GIS package like QGIS. You can write software to
32 > >>>>> do this using the proj4 library for an embedded box, not sure
33 > >>>>> if anything for your specific use case already exists and is
34 > >>>>> open source.
35 > >>>>>
36 > >>>>> Alec
37 > >>>>
38 > >>>> Sorry iphone send mail even if you don't wanna :/
39 > >>>>
40 > >>>> What you are considering doing is quite a challenge. What kind
41 > >>>> of coordinates does your gps module give you? The gps system
42 > >>>> works with cartesian x y z coordinates. Then these are usually
43 > >>>> displayed to the user in WGS-84. This is a quite hard
44 > >>>> mathematical problem (differential elliptical problem). Usually
45 > >>>> is done by your gps receiver and is approximated. GIS libraries
46 > >>>> have these functions built inside. Distances are easier and
47 > >>>> faster to calculate in cartesian coordinates. You need to
48 > >>>> calculate distance because coordinates from gps will never
49 > >>>> coincide with any address.
50 > >>>>
51 > >>>> Open street maps provides a very good start, but addresses have
52 > >>>> great differences in different countries. For example google
53 > >>>> misses addresses quite much depending on where you are
54 > >>>> searching. Getting the address right requires good locality
55 > >>>> from the program. Addresses and roads are vector maps. The
56 > >>>> fastest way to get address is to have the vector map of the
57 > >>>> world and then calculate distance to the closest address. The
58 > >>>> database will be huge :)
59 > >>>>
60 > >>>> Maps are usually raster pictures which have some projection.
61 > >>>> When you display them you can use 3d or 2d visual. In 3d (like
62 > >>>> google earth) you draw a sphere (or oblate spheroid) and draw
63 > >>>> textures on top of is to the right coordinates. In 3d
64 > >>>> everything needs to be converted to cartesian coordinates. Or
65 > >>>> in 2d you decide a projection and then convert the projection
66 > >>>> of your maps to this projection. After that it is just easy
67 > >>>> drawing. GIS libraries contain all the needed tools for these
68 > >>>> operations. There are a few of them with open source license.
69 > >>>>
70 > >>>> I have been doing some work with opengl 3d drawing maps. Good
71 > >>>> luck your project is quite big but it is sure very much fun :)
72 > >>>>
73 > >>>> -- -Matti
74 > >>>
75 > >>> YEAH! Matti is back! I saw your previous mail and thought: Oh
76 > >>> boy...Clint Eastwood is very talkative compared to /him/. ;;;)))
77 > >>
78 > >> Trashed the phone... and now back to the good old fashion
79 > >> terminal connection.
80 > >>
81 > >>> I am not /that/ serious this evening...sorry... With all the
82 > >>> help from this forum this evening I got by far more working
83 > >>> results as I have thought...
84 > >>>
85 > >>> But back to your mail: The GPS module I plan to use is this one
86 > >>> (by Adafruit, Lady Ada):
87 > >>> https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps/overview From
88 > >>> there (see link list on the left) you can also download the
89 > >>> manuals (pdf).
90 > >>
91 > >> Nice... MicroTek chipset. Quite easy to use.
92 > >>
93 > >>> I will not use this thing as a driving assistant or "navi" (is
94 > >>> this common speaking outside germany also...or is it one of
95 > >>> those pseudo english german words like "handy" for "cell
96 > >>> phone"...dont laugh! This time /I am/ serious! :) )
97 > >>>
98 > >>> Its more like a GPS data logger. I plan to copy the gathered
99 > >>> data on my PC later and I will try to "draw" them onto a map.
100 > >>> May be the results proof later, that I am able to walk through
101 > >>> walls and hovering over the face of the waters...;)
102 > >>
103 > >> Ok. This is easy... You just need some maps... openstreetmaps are
104 > >> good for that. From the MT3339 you get NMEA messages and WGS-84
105 > >> coordinates. I would suggest displaying your results in 2D. For
106 > >> germany Lambert conformal conic projection is good choice. In
107 > >> this projection all angles are true and sreight lines are great
108 > >> circle routes. Just convert the maps to this projection and
109 > >> convert your coordinates to Lambert false easting and false
110 > >> northing and you will have cartesian coordinates that are easy to
111 > >> draw. Even excel is able to draw this in real time :) I don't see
112 > >> where you need the address resolution.
113 > >>
114 > >>> May be the UV-mappinga abillity of this 3D renderig program will
115 > >>> help -- I am using it for other purposes since 2006.
116 > >>> www.blender.org
117 > >>
118 > >> From what I know about blender isn't it just 3d rendering
119 > >> program. Not a GIS application. It doesn't know anythin about
120 > >> coordinates...
121 > >>
122 > >>> Will see how far it will go. First step in progress will be
123 > >>> acchived, when I can read any data from the GPS module and they
124 > >>> are not that changing if I dont move and they will change when I
125 > >>> move. The module is ordered and will arrive -- I hope -- next
126 > >>> week.
127 > >>
128 > >> Nice.
129 > >>
130 > >> -- -Matti
131 > >
132 > > Hi Matti,
133 > >
134 > > thanks for your explanation. If I start struggling...you will
135 > > receive email (ok?) !
136 > >
137 > > Blender: The UV-Mapping of blender maps 2D-Images to whatever
138 > > shaped things in 3D quite good...it is used for texturing.
139 > > Additionally Blender has a python API, so missing things can
140 > > added.
141 >
142 > Of course you can do that, but it's gazillion times harder to do
143 > than 2d. If you want to have a good 3d visual (like google earth)
144 > you need to calculate your oblate spheroid on the fly and i don't
145 > think blender will be able to do that.
146 >
147 > With basic UV-mapping you will have uneven distribution with poles
148 > compared to equator. The best solution is to use icosahedron (like a
149 > normal football with alternating hexagons and pentagons). Also with
150 > that you will automatically end up with triangles which are better
151 > for your GPU. Also the size of the triangles are even throughout the
152 > object. No tessellation is required.
153 >
154 > You will never need to draw more than one half of this spheroid
155 > because the other side is hidden an equal to the visual side. If you
156 > really wan't conserve memory of you GPU you can just have 1/8 of the
157 > vertices of the spheroid. The remaining 3/8 vertices can be created
158 > on the fly by a rotation matrix.
159 >
160 > Even better choice is to have a fixed amount of vertices and draw
161 > only the needed parts of the sphere on the fly. You also need to
162 > calculate the coordinates for your texture.
163 >
164 > To have see the goodies of 3d map view you probably want to have
165 > tilt with your visual. Otherwise there is not much difference with
166 > 2d view. The WGS-84 defines just the spheroid which does not
167 > describe earth accurately. Because earth's densities are not equal
168 > the height of mean sea level is not equal above the WGS-84 ellipse.
169 > To calculate that you need EGM (earth gravitational model). The
170 > result is called geoid. EGM96 is now mostly used but newer more
171 > accurate EGM2008 is also available. In maps and all other
172 > applications heights are always reported as above mean sea level.
173 >
174 > To calculate coordinates, lets say N52 E16, you take the WGS-84
175 > ellipse that goes through the poles and is 16 deg east of 0 ellipse.
176 > Now the N52 is at the ellipse in the point where a normal to ellipse
177 > form 52deg angle with equator plane. To calculate where this point
178 > is at mean sea level or at arbitrary altitude you need to follow the
179 > vector of gravity. Vector of gravity does not have the same
180 > direction as the normal to the ellipse, but it is close. The gravity
181 > vector is twisted by the gravitational differences of earth (EGM)
182 > and the rotation of earth. These will give accurate result but in
183 > most applications it is not needed. A GIS library can do these
184 > calculations. Inverse of this is much much harder to do accurately
185 > (but every gps receiver needs to calculate it and usually use
186 > approximating algorithms).
187 >
188 > So if you want to draw a map of lets say Aachen you it is not
189 > efficient to have vertices of the entire earth in GPU's memory. It
190 > is much better to have lets say 10000 points in Aachen and draw the
191 > texture on top of them an calculate the coordinates on the fly. If
192 > you are drawing areas bigger than Europe then you have more
193 > advantages with 3d view.
194 >
195 > > Just a shot in the dark...
196 >
197 > It would be nice to hear how well blender is able to do this :)
198 >
199 > -- -Matti
200
201 Hi Matti,
202
203 I have the first result of trying to do as described: With my DSL
204 connection it is impossible to download the OSM data for offline
205 browsing. Reason: The duration for the download (~40GB) exceeds 24
206 hours. After 24 h my DSL line is forced to disconnect by the provider
207 and the download fails.
208 Grrmmmpppfff...
209 Reminds me of times when modems were hi-tec...
210
211 I found another program called "viking" (sci-geosciences/viking),
212 which claims to be able to download all needed data/maps/etc... and
213 store them for later usage on harddisk. This is not exactky "offline"
214 but ... kind of "second hand offline" ;)
215
216 The idea to use blender was born in the moment when it seems
217 that I have to do all the mapping myself...no longer needed as
218 it seems.
219
220 Furthermore I installed sci-geosciences/gpsd and found this
221 page: http://the8thlayerof.net/category/beaglebone-black/
222 which described how to connect the beaglebone black, the gps module I
223 ordered and gpsd.
224
225 Still waiting for the parcel to arrive...
226
227 Best regards,
228 mcc