From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] [OT] What is the best open-source VPN server for Linux?
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2018 20:18:31
1 A friend of mine asked me to recommend him an open-source
2 VPN-server for Linux but unfortunately I never used one.
3
4 After some googling, I have found OpenVPN but do not know
5 if it is the best choice that suits his purposes, namely to access
6 local network that does not have its own fixed IP from the outside.
7
8 To be more precise: the local network to be accessed to from the
9 outside is part of another local network. The latter (outer) network
10 has its own fixed IP but the former (inner) network gets its IP via DHCP.
11 So, it is impossible to connect to a computer in the inner network
12 from the outside directly.
13
14 The computer in local network to be connected runs Windows.
15 The said friend of mine have tried to run some VPN server from
16 Windows but it somehow hangs the "inner" computer when
17 his "outer" computer has problems connecting to the Internet.
18
19 So, now his idea is
20 1) to run a virtual machine in the "inner" (Windows) computer,
21 2) to install into this virtual machine very lightweight Linux server
22 only to run in it a VPN-server that should help him to connect
23 from the outside to the "inner" host (Windows) computer, which
24 has its fixed IP within the inner local network.
25
26 Thank you for advance and sorry for a bit of offtopic.