From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 18:28:33
1 On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >> Howdy,
4 >>
5 >> I finally got me a 3Tb drive on the way. Should be here Wednesday. I
6 >> have seen some reviews where it would not work right. I think some of
7 >> it may be BIOS related since some BIOS's don't like drives that large.
8 >> Anyway, I want to test this thing real good to really make sure it is up
9 >> to the task before putting my data on it. It's going to be so much
10 >> data, there is really no way to do back-ups at this point. Come on, 2
11 >> to 3Tbs on 4Gb DVDs. Really? lol Maybe a external drive later on but
12 >> for now, well.
13 >>
14 >> I have heard of bonnie and friends. I also think dd could do some
15 >> testing too. Is there any other way to give this a good work and see if
16 >> it holds up? Oh, helpful hints with Bonnie would be great too. I have
17 >> never used it before. Maybe someone has some test that is really brutal.
18 >>
19 >> Thanks
20 >>
21 >> Dale
22 >>
23 >> :-) :-)
27 > Update. I went to the mailbox and there was a nice pretty brown box.
28 > Bad thing is, drive is OEM with just a blister pack around it. The box
29 > had almost no packing, just a small amount of brown paper. Ewwwwww! It
30 > was just flopping around in the box.
31 >
32 > Anyway, I stole a SATA cable from another rig and got this:
33 >
34 > root@fireball / # smartctl -t long /dev/sdd
35 > smartctl 5.42 2011-10-20 r3458 [x86_64-linux-3.5.0-gentoo] (local build)
36 > Copyright (C) 2002-11 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net
37 >
38 > === START OF OFFLINE IMMEDIATE AND SELF-TEST SECTION ===
39 > Sending command: "Execute SMART Extended self-test routine immediately
40 > in off-line mode".
41 > Drive command "Execute SMART Extended self-test routine immediately in
42 > off-line mode" successful.
43 > Testing has begun.
44 > Please wait 255 minutes for test to complete.
45 > Test will complete after Wed Aug 8 17:10:46 2012
46 >
47 > Use smartctl -X to abort test.
48 > root@fireball / #
49 >
50 > 255 minutes. Wow. My plan, let this test finish, do a little bit of
51 > copy and rm, then test again. I figure copying 800Gbs to it should give
52 > it a little bit of a work out since I will be doing it twice.
53 >
54 > Yeppie.
55 >
56 > Dale
57 >
58 > :-) :-)
59 >
60 > --
61 > I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!
65 Now, don't you wear it out, you hear?!?!? ;-)
66
67 If your machine runs all the time you can add smartctl runs as chron
68 jobs that run at midnight and have the results emailed to you. Look at
69 them once a week and other than an unpredictable catastrophic failure
70 you'll likely know a long time before it fails.
71
72 Cheers,
73 Mark