From: Tom H <tomh0665@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Network manager [ control of wireless and wired interafaces]
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2015 22:11:23
1 On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 5:18 PM, Fernando Rodriguez
2 <frodriguez.developer@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 4:15:53 PM Tom H wrote:
4 >>
5 >> I've never used nmcli except to get ip information (see below) but
6 >> setting up NM without a gui is simple.
7 >>
8 >> This is my home wifi setup:
9 >>
10 >> # cat /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/thsky
11 >> [connection]
12 >> id=thsky
13 >> uuid=e03d75e4-043a-4276-bf03-3995270ec891
14 >> type=802-11-wireless
15 >>
16 >> [802-11-wireless]
17 >> ssid=myssidname
18 >> mode=infrastructure
19 >> security=802-11-wireless-security
20 >>
21 >> [802-11-wireless-security]
22 >> key-mgmt=wpa-psk
23 >> psk=myssidpassword
24 >>
25 >> [ipv4]
26 >> method=manual
27 >> address1=192.168.1.11/24,192.168.1.1
28 >> dns=192.168.1.111
29 >>
30 >> [ipv6]
31 >> method=link-local
32 >
33 > Did you find that documented somewhere or did you use an UI to create the file
34 > originally? What about when you need one of the many features that this simple
35 > example doesn't cover (like permissions)? what is the guid? It is hard.
36
37 I first started creating these connections by reading a page on
38 freedesktop.org that had the same info as what you now get with "man
39 nm-settings". The latter might even have existed at the time...
40
41 I haven't tested this in a while but in the past you needed one of id and uuid.
42
43 The uuid is easily generated with "uuidgen".
46 > When I started using NetworkManager I had hell trying to modify that file
47 > manually because plasma-nm ask for root password when modifying system wide
48 > connections but it doesn't save the changes (the solution was to run nm-
49 > connection-editor manually as root). The same applies to nmtui and it only
50 > covers a few options. I don't remember exactly what needed to be changed in
51 > the file but it wasn't intuitive.
52
53 There's a famous rant by Linus about having to provide the root
54 password in order to join a network.
55
56 I've never used KDE so I have no idea about which gui applet to use
57 and how/why settings are saved and I've never used nmtui but I suspect
58 (unless it was a specific NM bug at the time) that it was a problem
59 with the polkit settings like Linus' problem.