From: Peter Wood <p2wood@×××××××××.ca>
To: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>, gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to boot into single user mode
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:37:21
Matt Harrison wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 02:43:42PM -0400, Peter Wood wrote: > >>> Hi, >>> >>> Thanks for both replies. >>> >>> The thing that bugs me about the softlevel option is that the computer >>> apparently enters into the default runlevel first before switching to >>> single. If I do not want to have any of the services running, why would >>> I have to start and stop them all (which might take quite a bit of time >>> considering a computer that is set up for networking via dhcp, but >>> booting up in an environment where there is no network connection. >>> >>> Is the real_init option on the kernel line no longer working? >>> >>> I guess I'll go with the busybox solution. >>> >>> > > Of course I forgot it goes runlevel 3 -> runlevel 1. It serves my purposes but maybe not yours. > Let me know if the bb solution works, i'm interested :) > > best of luck > > Matt Harrison >
Ok, I tried the init=/bin/bb solution. It didn't work. Which is probably related to the fact that I am using an initramfs. If I use real_init=/bin/bb, things work howvever. Provided you remount your root filesystem with read/write enabled, this gives you the option to do any maintenance work and then reboot. I guess, if real_init + runlevel ever worked, it does not do any more. real_init takes a command as an argument, not the name of a runlevel. Best, Peter -- Peter Wood Ph. D. Candidate Germanic & Slavic Studies University of Waterloo Canada -- gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list