From: Peter Wood <p2wood@×××××××××.ca>
To: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>, gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to boot into single user mode
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 19:37:21
1 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 02:43:42PM -0400, Peter Wood wrote:
3 >
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> Thanks for both replies.
7 >>>
8 >>> The thing that bugs me about the softlevel option is that the computer
9 >>> apparently enters into the default runlevel first before switching to
10 >>> single. If I do not want to have any of the services running, why would
11 >>> I have to start and stop them all (which might take quite a bit of time
12 >>> considering a computer that is set up for networking via dhcp, but
13 >>> booting up in an environment where there is no network connection.
14 >>>
15 >>> Is the real_init option on the kernel line no longer working?
16 >>>
17 >>> I guess I'll go with the busybox solution.
18 >>>
19 >>>
20 >
21 > Of course I forgot it goes runlevel 3 -> runlevel 1. It serves my purposes but maybe not yours.
22 > Let me know if the bb solution works, i'm interested :)
23 >
24 > best of luck
25 >
26 > Matt Harrison
27 >
28 Ok, I tried the init=/bin/bb solution. It didn't work. Which is probably
29 related to the fact that I am using an initramfs. If I use
30 real_init=/bin/bb, things work howvever. Provided you remount your root
31 filesystem with read/write enabled, this gives you the option to do any
32 maintenance work and then reboot.
33 I guess, if real_init + runlevel ever worked, it does not do any more.
34 real_init takes a command as an argument, not the name of a runlevel.
35 Best,
36 Peter
39 Peter Wood
40 Ph. D. Candidate