From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Quoting style on HTC Dream
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:09:39
1 On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 22:21:06 -0800, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2
3 > I have a G1, normal model, not flashed. I too wanted it because of
4 > its physical keyboard, but then someone developed a pay program ($5 I
5 > think, well worth it) called Better Keyboard which has been so good
6 > that I don't use the physical keyboard any more and no longer consider
7 > it a necessity, at least for Android. Friends who have an iPhone say
8 > this Better Keyboard is better than the iPhone's soft keyboard.
9
10 I'll give that a try. The Android soft keyboard is OK, but nothing to
11 write home about... or with.
12
13 > One problem with the G1 is its small memory, making it possible that
14 > it won't be able to use the 2.0 features. It can take humonguous SD
15 > chips, but the internal program flash is just too small.
16
17 I believe it's already been stated that 2.0 won't be pushed out to the
18 G-1.
19
20 > Plus it does
21 > not have multitouch like the iPhone or the new Motorola Droid, which
22 > would be a big improvement.
23
24 That's a software limitation, the touchscreen supports multitouch and
25 I've seen a hacked G-1 with multitouch working.
26
27 > I have not looked into these new phones much because my G1 is only a
28 > year old, still runs fine, and still has a year to go on the danged
29 > contract. But if I were looking for a new phone today, I would start
30 > by investigating the Maemo, then look at other Androids which don't
31 > have a physical keyboard but do have multitouch, and finally at the
32 > Droid.
33
34 I had more or less decided to go for the N900 when my contract expires in
35 a few months, then Motorola confused things by releasing the Droid. Now
36 I'm as confused as a baby in a topless bar.
37
38 > Here are some of the things I like about Better Keyboard:
39
40 Is this in the Market? If so, I'll give it a try as you can get a refund
41 on paid programs within the first 24 hours.
45 Neil Bothwick
46
47 IBM - I Blame Microsoft