From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Virtual Desktop with a Virtual Monitor?
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2021 21:03:42
1 On 07/11/2021 20:39, Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > I've been playing with a Raspberry Pi 4 as a utility divice for a
4 > couple of purposes - a backup server for here at home as well as an
5 > astrophotography manager to run my camera and mount. So far everything
6 > is fine when I have a monitor attached. I can ssh in and run X apps,
7 > and I can run the VNC client and control the desktop.
8 >
9 > What I find, however, is that when I boot the RP4 without the
10 > monitor attached, which I would be doing most all the time, I lose the
11 > desktop functionality through VNC. I can still ssh X apps, and both
12 > xdpyinfo and xrandr still say the X resolution is 1920 x 1280, but
13 > there doesn't appear to be a real desktop for VNC to latch onto.
14 >
15 > I get that this must be possible as essentially VirtualBox is able
16 > to do this. I wonder if there's a way for mere mortals to do something
17 > similar?
18 >
19 I'm guessing the reason there isn't a virtual desktop is because
20 nobody's logged in AT THE PI and started one!
21
22 Just start Xorg over ssh, or plasma-wayland, or whatever. Sorry I don't
23 (yet) know how to do it, I need to find out because I want to do exactly
24 the same :-)
25
26 Cheers,
27 Wol