From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] upgraded video card from geforce 6600 to geforce 8600...
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 16:33:38
1 On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:03:16 -0500
2 "Budd, Tracy" <Tracy.Budd@××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 People will appreciate it if you don't respond to unrelated posts.
5 Many mail browsers (my own included) organize by the in-reply-to header
6 (at least I think that's the one):
7 In-Reply-To: <47A0D531.3000207@×××××××.net>
8 and have probably organized your post in the middle of a VMWare
9 discussion, just as mine has. Thanks in advance!
10
11
12 > I recompiled nvidia-drivers,
13
14 for one thing, I don't think you should have had to recompile the
15 nvidia-drivers for the update, you're moving from two nvidia cards
16 that are both supported by the same (most recent) version of the driver
17 from what I can tell on nvidia's site. The same driver can drive both
18 cards. You would want to recompile if you changed
19
20 Secondly, you might want to try upgrading the drivers, as the 8600 is a
21 more recent card than the 6600 and you might need new drivers. Just
22 make sure you did an emerge --sync some time recently and that
23 shouldn't be a problem.
24
25 And finally, it's not really a 'recompile' (even though we _both_
26 called it one) because the nvidia drivers are binaries - nvidia hasn't
27 released open sources for them.
28
29
30 > but when I tried running X, I got a blank screen.
31
32 You might need to reconfigure the Devices section of X. In my mind,
33 the best way to do this is to run X -configure from ~/ and then
34 copy-paste the relevant section of the new file (configured for your
35 new 8600) to the old file (replace the 6600 device lines with those for
36 8600).
37
38 > Couldn't get back to the console.
39
40 I assume Ctrl-Alt-F[1-6] didn't help you. If not, it almost sounds
41 like X is locking up. reminds me of this[1] release highlight (this
42 driver came out 1/21/08):
43
44 "Fixed a bug that caused the X driver to crash if the X.Org GLX
45 extension module was loaded intead of NVIDIA’s."
46 "Fixed a bug in the Linux/i2c algorithm driver implementation that
47 prevented core transfer types from succeeding."
48
49 Best of luck to you!
50
51 [1] http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_169.09.html