From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Broadcom wireless problem after a certain time
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2017 12:07:34
1 On Sunday 01 Jan 2017 11:54:22 Hogren wrote:
2 > On 31/12/2016 00:21, Mick wrote:
3 > > On Friday 30 Dec 2016 21:22:17 Hogren wrote:
4 > >> Hello,
5 > >>
6 > >> I write to the list for a little strange problem.
7 > >>
8 > >> I have a wireless card :
9 > >> # lspci |grep -i 802
10 > >> 24:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n
11 > >>
12 > >>
13 > >> Globally, the card works fine. I use wpa_supplicant. I have a systemd
14 > >> service to start the connection when I want. The DHCP client works fine
15 > >> too. etc. All is right.
16 > >>
17 > >> But, because there is always a "but", After a certain quantity of
18 > >> downloaded data, the card's stopping to work fine. I can't receive
19 > >> anything. I need to stop an restart the systemd service.
20 > >>
21 > >> I herd that there is many problems with Broadcom wireless devices
22 > >> because the driver is only based on reverse engineering.
23 > >>
24 > >> That is the reason ? And there is a solution for this kind of problem ?
25 > >>
26 > >> Thank you very much !
27 > >>
28 > >> Hogren
29 > >
30 > > I don't know what problems are being reported on the model you are using,
31 > > but previous models were experiencing problems with power saving. Use
32 > > modinfo to find out what power saving parameters the module has and try
33 > > disabling these, in case power management is the cause of the
34 > > interruptions you are experiencing.
35 >
36 > I'm not enough experienced to see that and deactivate it.
37 >
38 > My modinfo output :
39 > # modinfo b43
40 > filename:
41 > /lib/modules/4.4.26-gentoo/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/b43/b43.ko
42 > firmware: b43/ucode9.fw
43 > firmware: b43/ucode5.fw
44 > firmware: b43/ucode16_mimo.fw
45 > firmware: b43/ucode15.fw
46 > firmware: b43/ucode14.fw
47 > firmware: b43/ucode13.fw
48 > firmware: b43/ucode11.fw
49 > license: GPL
50 > author: Rafał Miłecki
51 > author: Gábor Stefanik
52 > author: Michael Buesch
53 > author: Stefano Brivio
54 > author: Martin Langer
56 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev10*
57 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev0F*
58 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev0D*
59 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev0C*
60 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev0B*
61 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev0A*
62 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev09*
63 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev07*
64 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev06*
65 > alias: ssb:v4243id0812rev05*
66 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev2Acl*
67 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev28cl*
68 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev1Ecl*
69 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev1Dcl*
70 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev1Ccl*
71 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev18cl*
72 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev17cl*
73 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev15cl*
74 > alias: bcma:m04BFid0812rev11cl*
75 > depends:
76 > intree: Y
77 > vermagic: 4.4.26-gentoo SMP mod_unload
78 > parm: bad_frames_preempt:enable(1) / disable(0) Bad Frames
79 > Preemption (int)
80 > parm: fwpostfix:Postfix for the .fw files to load. (string)
81 > parm: hwpctl:Enable hardware-side power control (default off)
82 > (int)
83 [snip ...]
84
85 The above parameter is the only one I see related to power management. So,
86 let's see what the card is configured to use at present:
87
88 cat /sys/class/net/wlp36s0b1/power/control
89
90 The default setting would be off and since this parameter is specified as an
91 integer it is likely to be 0. There is also a possibility of it being set at
92 'auto'. In any case you can try switching this on, to see if it is makes any
93 difference, or if it is set at 'auto' force it to off.
94
95 I see you are running systemd. I am not well versed with it, so others will
96 hopefully chip in to correct me. On a normal Gentoo system with openrc I
97 would use this file to set options:
98
99 /etc/modprobe.d/b43.conf
100
101 So create it and add in it:
102
103 options b43 hwpctl=1
104
105 to switch power management on, or:
106
107 options b43 hwpctl=0
108
109 to force it off.
110
111 Then unload/reload the module using modprobe, or reboot and see if with either
112 setting the problem goes away.
113
114 PS. I am using the same module, but with a different card. I noticed on mine
115 I had set qos=0 for some reason. I must have found this advice somewhere on
116 the interwebs and set it so. You may want to try this too to see if it makes
117 any odds.
118
119 PPS. You may also want to increase verbosity in the logs in the first instance
120 to see if something is reported as a result of the fault you are getting. Use
121 this setting:
122
123 options b43 verbose=3
124