From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OpenRC broke my LVM?
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 08:09:00
1 On Wednesday 23 April 2008, Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > It's highly unlikely you lost data, as the upgrade would not have
4 > > changed the on-disk metadata. If all else fails, you could boot off
5 > > an LVM-enabled LiveCD and you'll find all your volumes present. But
6 > > first we need to find out what's going on (my machine uses
7 > > baselayout-2 and openrc & my lvm volumes were unaffected.
8 > >
9 > > What output do you get from
10 > > pvscan
11 > > vgscan
12 > > lvscan
13 > > vgchange -a y
14 > >
15 > > and what's in the various logs regarding lvm startup?
19 > Ok,
20 >
21 > pvscan says:
22 >     No Matching physical volumes found
23
24 ouch. Looks like something is wrong with your lvm metadata. Could you
25 confirm that your setup is lvm on top of local RAID, and that there
26 isn't anything else involved (shared storage for example).
27
28 As a test, I would boot off an LVM enabled live cd and see if the
29 volumes are accessible. That will determine if the problem lies with
30 lvm, your volumes, or with how your gentoo is set up.
31
32 Last time I looked, the Sistina web site and redhat.com has loads of
33 very useful info and FAQs. If you haven't already, I recommend you get
34 onto those sites and start reading and doing non-destructive tests, as
35 lvm errors can be varied and interesting when stuff goes wrong
38 Alan McKinnon
39 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
42 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list