From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No 'libs' in world file?
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2015 02:11:04
1 150303 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > If you look at your world file, you should for each line
3 > be able to immediately say "yes I know what this is and I need it".
4 > Where "I need it" means "I need it directly"
5 > and *not* "I need it because some other package needs it".
6 > In most cases this means that libraries should not be in the world file.
7 > You'll rarely say "Yes I need Boost" : instead you may need LibreOffice
8 > and that needs Boost ... The smaller your world file,
9 > the more freedom portage has to resolve dependencies.
10
11 I was going to comment that I had 3 'lib' pkgs in 'world',
12 but then checked via 'emerge -cpv <pkg>'
13 & found that all of them -- /sys-libs/readline ncurses zlib --
14 were in fact requirements for eg bash python vim kdelibs cups LO ,
15 so now I've removed them & hope it will simplify Portage activities a bit.
19 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
20 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
21 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca