From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updated bash crashed complete system
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 20:23:18
1 070904 Matthias Fechner wrote:
2 > I updated Bash-3.2_p17 and the computer stalled while installing it
3 > so I was not able to reboot my PC.
4 > I rebooted from a rescue system and copied Bash from there.
5 > Now I can boot my system again.
6 > Now I try to reinstall bash again but I get the following error message:
7 > -- snip --
8 > ./lib/readline/libhistory.a: could not read symbols: Archive has no
9 > index; run ranlib to add one
10 > -- snip --
11 > What can I do to reinstall the bash again?
12
13 The first thing to try what it says: run Ranlib.
14 However, it's not clear which library you need to run it on:
15 my system has no dir /lib/readline ;
16 the Readline pkg installs /usr/lib/libhistory.a , which is present.
17 So you could try 'ranlib /usr/lib/libhistory.a'
18 or you could try remerging the Readline pkg, which mb damaged in some way.
19 I emerged this version of Bash 070728 without any problem.
20 My Readline version is 5.2_p4 (070701): do you need to upgrade yours ?
21 Have you looked for similar problems in the Forum ?
25 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
26 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
27 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list